(aka 10 Ways You Use Poetry Without Noticing.)
By AA Bell, first author to win the coveted Hemming Award for Excellence in SF & Fantasy Themes TWICE...
[Diamond Eyes 2011, Hindsight 2012]
1) All psychos "get" poetry - if your bad guy doesn’t know any, or allude to it in his setting/behavior, then
he’s mediocre; rather ordinary.
♥ღ♥ How pale was Hannibal, without Dante? ♥ღ♥
2) All despots allude to it, if not by quoting it or writing their own,
then by their choice of music or décor.
♥ღ♥ Quote any Star Trek movie ♥ღ♥
3) Poetic Justice - you can’t have it,
if you don’t "get" it.
♥ღ♥ Quote any Great Classic… ♥ღ♥
Or let’s get specific….
4) Poetic irony - how good is good without evil?
♥ღ♥ I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid I won't get a chance to LIVE." Mira Chambers, Diamond Eyes ♥ღ♥
5) Mastery of Metaphors - they’re the pictures that tell a thousand words, so readers don’t need to plough through stories the long way.
♥ღ♥ For a deaf stalker, the world is a zoo of mime artists... Freddie Leopard, Hindsight ♥ღ♥
6) Diegetic dysentery; if you can’t cut to the core and describe it with sweet succinctness, you have to keep crapping out words and editing out the worst until we’re all sick of it.
♥ღ♥ "Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history" Hindsight ♥ღ♥
7) Subliminal Subtext - If your characters only ever say what they only ever mean; there’s no fun in the love scenes. Or in the action, or delivery of sub-plots. For what is a portrayal of real life, without misunderstandings, crossed-lines and double entendres?
♥ღ♥ Don’t call me Mirage. My mother only named me that after her sick visions... Hindsight ♥ღ♥
8) Poetic Poignancy; as in jokes and haiku, the most powerful scenes are never long winded.
♥ღ♥ His invisible face aligned with his yester-ghost and for the first time she could see her lover as well as feel him… Leopard Dreaming ♥ღ♥
P9) It's not the words, it's the meanings.
10) It's not the text, it's the feelings.
♥ღ♥Few can reach across the River of Time and survive beyond the Realm of Death… Diamond Eyes ♥ღ♥
- AA Bell, Author of the multi-award winning Diamond Eyes Trilogy;
#SheSeesThruTime #ScienceFiction #Fantasy #Crime #Romance #Thrillers
Like me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @ThePoetTrees